Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. James United Methodist Church

Of Huntsville

 
 
St. James United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
1. St. James United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was organized shortly after the Civil War to serve the newly freed slaves of the Huntsville area. The earliest worship services were conducted in 1868 in the Union Church building at this site. The sanctuary, located on land donated by local French merchant John Courtade, was shared with a Baptist fellowship.

Straughter Hume, Joshua Houston, William Baines, W. Fayle and William Sinclair, the first trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, purchased the Union Church building in the 1870s. Also known as the Freedmen's Church, the original membership included Solomon Jones, Jeff Lockhart, John Clark, Mary Baines, Sarah Smithers, Harriet Hendricks, Eliza Jones, Kizziah Lacy, and others. For many years the structure also served as a schoolhouse. Some of the teachers here were Lizzie Stone, Texana Snow, Jacob Cozier, O.A. Todd, and Mollie Flood. A new wooden sanctuary with a belfry was constructed at this site in 1894.

Under the leadership of the Rev. Lee of Navasota, the first Black presiding elder, the church experienced a period of considerable growth. Since 1868 St. James United Methodist Church has
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
played a significant role in the development of Huntsville.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8471.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 30° 43.228′ N, 95° 33.18′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue M and 14th Street, on the left when traveling north on Avenue M. The marker is located on the corner of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1310 14th Street, Huntsville TX 77340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Seven Hills of Huntsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sallie E. Gibbs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rawley Samuel Rather Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pritchett House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); Cornerstone of the Fourth Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); First Meeting Site of Huntsville's Masonic Lodge (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial Gazebo (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
The St. James United Methodist Church sign and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
2. The St. James United Methodist Church sign and Marker
The St. James United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
3. The St. James United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180389

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024