Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
First Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
1. First Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1867, Huntsville Methodists and Baptists shared the Union Church. Two years later, the Baptists built a separate church in the Rogersville neighborhood called First Missionary Baptist Church, which was organized by Rev. J.J. Rhinehardt with the assistance of "Mother" Sarah Rolling. On Feb. 27, 1872, the church purchased property on 10th Street, near the present location of Avenue P and 10th, from Phyllis Randall for $40 in gold by Clark Roland (Rolling), John James and York Henderson who were the church trustees. It is said that this site was where General Sam Houston and a lawyer named Wylie (Andrew P. Wiley) debated the questions of succession and slavery. A second tract of land on the west bank of Tanyard branch at the north side of Fannin (10th) Street was purchased from Ellen Montgomery for $100 by trustees on Aug. 4, 1877. The membership grew under Rev. J.R. Woodall's leadership and the church remained strong until his untimely death. Under the administration of Rev. Woodall, a modern brick structure was built in 1952 at 1530 10th Street on land bought from the Boldin family, across from the site of the original church, a wooden structure,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
which was later demolished.

The church has had several notable members including professor Samuel Walker Houston, deacon J.M. Mettawer, and Joshua Houston, Sr. Important contributions to the community have been the central district missionary association, "The Youth Revival" in which the youth department developed a scholarship and free lunch program for the sick and shut-in, Sunday school classes for the elderly and young, food drives, Black history month events, and a scholarship fund for graduating high school seniors. Today, the church continues as a foundation for community pride and progress.
175 Years of Texas Independence 1836-2011
 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16906.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 27, 1872.
 
Location. 30° 43.51′ N, 95° 33.449′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of 10th Street and Avenue P, on the right when traveling west on 10th Street. The marker is located on the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1530 10th Street, Huntsville TX 77320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
The First Missionary Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
2. The First Missionary Baptist Church and Marker
. Rogersville (a few steps from this marker); Joshua Houston (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wynne House (about 800 feet away); Huntsville Item (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bishop Ward Normal and Collegiate Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Gibbs-Powell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pritchett House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Seven Hills of Huntsville (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
The view of the First Missionary Baptist Church from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
3. The view of the First Missionary Baptist Church from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180430

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2024