Chesaning in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
George Nason House
George M. Nason (1859-1929) built this house in 1907-08. The Nason family had emigrated from Northampton, England, to Buffalo, New York, in 1832. George’s father, Robert (1831-1907), came to Chesaning in 1852 and engaged in farming and lumbering. In 1861 he purchased 1,500 acres of land about five miles from Chesaning and erected a sawmill. For over a decade, he also engaged in prosperous land speculative activities and by 1881, he was considered to be one of Chesaning’s wealthiest men.
George Nason (1859-1929) built this Georgian Revival style house as a monument to his family’s success in the lumbering business. Its exterior features stately Ionic columns. A grand circular opening between the first and second floor dominates the interior. Nason family members lived in the house until 1945. The building remained a private residence until 1980, when it was opened to the public as an elegant dining establishment called the Chesaning Heritage House.
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1035.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 43° 11.155′ N, 84° 7.255′ W. Marker is in Chesaning, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street and South Clark Street, on the right when traveling east on West Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 W Broad St, Chesaning MI 48616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leamington Stewart House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Michael Catholic Parish / Saint Michael Catholic Church and School (approx. 6.9 miles away); St. Charles Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.6 miles away); Local Historical Site (approx. 7.8 miles away); Early St. Charles (approx. 7.9 miles away); 8" Howitzer (approx. 8.4 miles away); Saginaw Valley Coal (approx. 8½ miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Judge gives historic house owner until Sept. 1. Tri-County Citizen website entry; March 25, 2018 (Submitted on March 7, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Save the George Nason Lumber Baron Mansion(Submitted on September 20, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.