Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lockhart Vocational High School
According to local tradition, materials salvaged from Ross Institute, a former school for Lockhart's caucasian children, were used in 1923 to build this school for African American students. The Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago, which funded many African American schools in the south in the early 20th century, provided the design and part of the construction cost. The school district and local African American citizens raised the majority of the funds for its completion. Previously, African American children attended classes scattered throughout town. Elementary aged students learned at Sunset School, Mt. Salem Methodist Episcopal Church or the Masonic Lodge; high school students used a building on Live Oak Street that was also a funeral parlor and domino hall.
The two-story brick and stucco schoolhouse contained six classrooms, a principal's office, and a large auditorium that also served as a social center for the neighborhood. Prominent brick and stucco pilasters on the unadorned main facade rise above the parapet. The east and west sides of the building have large banks of windows to maximize natural light. The lower level
R.A. Atkinson was the first principal of the school, which received state accreditation in 1926. At the time two years of high school coursework were offered here, and students could attend the twelfth grade in Luling. In 1946, the facility changed its name to G.W. Carver High School. It closed in 1964 due to school integration, but the building was later used by the head start program.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14288.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 29° 53.182′ N, 97° 39.771′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Carver Street, on the right when traveling east on East Market Street. The marker is located in front of the old school building by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1104 East Market Street, Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caldwell County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Andrew Lee Brock (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Plum Creek First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (approx. half a mile away); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Caldwell County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Caldwell County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.