Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Organized in 1852 with seven members, this congregation constructed its first sanctuary in 1858. Located across the street from this site, it soon became too small for the growing membership. In 1898, this Gothic Revival building was designed and built by Tom Hodges, who served as the architect on several public buildings in Lockhart. The ornate sanctuary features lancet windows, decorative brickwork, and corner turrets.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9770.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 29° 53.065′ N, 97° 40.41′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of West San Antonio Street (State Highway 142) and South Church Street, on the left when traveling west on West San Antonio Street. The marker is located on the corner of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 West San Antonio, Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Emmanuel Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (about 400 feet away); Caldwell County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Caldwell County (about 500 feet away); Susanna Dickinson Hannig-Messenger of the Alamo (about 500 feet away); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (about 800 feet away); Caldwell County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.