Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Appleton in Outagamie County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Vulcan Street Plant Replica

 
 
Vulcan Street Plant Replica image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Donald Yochem, April 18, 2015
1. Vulcan Street Plant Replica
Inscription.  On November 25, 1882, the Vulcan Street Hydroelectric Central Station began operation. The Vulcan Street Plant featured a direct-current Edison K-type dynamo and lit the homes of A. L. and H. D. Smith, five or six mills, a blast furnace, and other nearby homes with Edison bulbs. The Vulcan Street Plant represents an early use of hydro-power to generate electricity and perhaps one of the earliest examples of a hydroelectric plant that sold electricity commercially and provided incandescent lighting service to the public. In 1932, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original plant opening, this replica was constructed by the Wisconsin-Michigan Power Company. Like the original, it houses an Edison K dynamo. In 1987, the building was moved here from (now Olde) South Oneida Street.
 
Erected 2014 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 556.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1851.
 
Location. 44° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
15.475′ N, 88° 23.836′ W. Marker is in Appleton, Wisconsin, in Outagamie County. Marker is at the intersection of Vulcan Street and East North Island, on the right when traveling south on Vulcan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 S Vulcan St, Appleton WI 54915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Edison Hydroelectric System in America (here, next to this marker); 9-11 Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Merging of Milwaukee-Downer and Lawrence Colleges (approx. mile away); Lawrence University (approx. mile away); First Commercially Successful Electric Street Railway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henry James and Cremora Rogers Residence (approx. 0.9 miles away); Number 736 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Appleton.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced a previously erected marker on this site. The original marker, entitled "World's First Hydroelectric Central Station," read:
"Near this site on September 30, 1882, the world's first hydroelectric central station began operation. The station, here reproduced, was known as the Vulcan Street Plant and had a direct current generator capable of lighting 250 sixteen-candle
Vulcan Street Plant Replica Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 6, 2015
2. Vulcan Street Plant Replica Marker
The marker is in front of the replica plant.
power lamps, each equivalent to 50 watts. The generator operated at 110 volts and was driven through gears and belts by a water wheel operating under a ten foot fall of water."
 
Regarding Vulcan Street Plant Replica. After a fire destroyed the central station, a replica was constructed at the current location preserving all of the building's original features. This building is currently located near its original location at the south end of the Lawe Street Bridge.

There are plans to relocate the replica to a new home in Vulcan Heritage Park, which is situated right across from the original Vulcan Plant.
 
Also see . . .  Milestones:Vulcan Street Plant, 1882. The Engineering and Technology History Wiki page for the Vulcan Street Plant. (Submitted on June 23, 2015.) 
 
Vulcan Street Plant Replica Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, July 4, 2009
3. Vulcan Street Plant Replica Marker
The marker is located near the stairs at the left side of the photo.
World's First Hydroelectric Central Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, August 17, 2015
4. World's First Hydroelectric Central Station
Hydroelectric Central Station Plaques image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, July 4, 2009
5. Hydroelectric Central Station Plaques
The plaques are to the left of the door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2015, by Donald Yochem of West Bend, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on September 3, 2021, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1. submitted on April 23, 2015, by Donald Yochem of West Bend, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on September 3, 2021, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on July 16, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on July 16, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180926

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024