Renner in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lindbergh Landing / Renner Field
Col. Charles A. Lindbergh was the first to fly non-stop from New York to Paris. The 33˝-hour solo flight on May 20-21, 1927, in a single engine monoplane, was a phenomenal aeronautical achievement which fascinated the world. Lindbergh's aircraft, the "Spirit of St. Louis", was flown without a radio and only minimal navigational equipment, but with courage and skill.
The Guggenheim Fund and the U. S. Department of Commerce then sponsored Lindbergh in a nation-wide air tour to stimulate interest in commercial aviation and to demonstrate the safety and punctuality of professional flying. On August 27, 1927, Lindbergh took off from Fargo, ND, for Sioux Falls. En route. he dropped fly-over messages when circling Aberdeen, Redfield, Huron and Mitchell. He landed here at Renner Field precisely at 12:00 o'clock noon as scheduled.
The cheers of over 30,000 persons "mounted into a steady roar" as the sleek, silvery plane landed and taxied to a stop. Col. Lindbergh concluded a brief address by expressing his hope "that this field or one that may be better situated, will be developed
In the mid-1920s a prominent Sioux Falls aviator and former U.S. Army pilot, Harold W. Tennant, began providing flight instruction and air taxi service on a 118 acre field, owned by George Renner, one-quarter mile southwest of here.
The first full-scale flight facility for Sioux Falls, Dakota Airlines, was established here on December 27, 1927. Nellie Willhite, South Dakota's first licensed aviatrix, received flight instruction and soloed at this field. While test-flying a new Kari-Keen monoplane. Tennant and a companion died in a tragic crash nearby on September 8, 1928.
Dakota Airlines was dissolved February 2, 1931, when Renner Air Service was established. By then the airport included two large hangars, which faced west parallel to the railroad tracks, a small hangar with an office at the north entrance, a Standard Oil gasoline pump with a 1,000 gallon tank, a prominent wind sock and designated landing areas maintained for year-round flying. Several open cockpit biplanes were used for flight instruction and a five-passenger Ryan monoplane provided transport service. Air shows and airplane races were staged periodically at the field. Flight
Erected 1992 by the Minnehaha County and South Dakota Historical Societies and Mapleton Township. (Marker Number 599.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & Space. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 27, 1927.
Location. 43° 38.729′ N, 96° 43.649′ W. Marker is in Renner, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is on 258th Street (County Road 130) 0.8 miles west of 475th Avenue (State Route 115), on the right when traveling west. Located near Mapleton Township Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47408 258th St, Renner SD 57055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Renner (here, next to this marker); Renner Area Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Christensen 1917 Round Barn (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Nidaros (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1938 Earthquake (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Thompson, Pioneer / Early Settlers' Association (approx. 4.1 miles away); Swedona Evangelical Covenant Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Amidon Graves Mystery (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Renner.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2021. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 7, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.