Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

West Engineering - West Hall

1904/1910

 
 
West Engineering - West Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, September 10, 2021
1. West Engineering - West Hall Marker
Inscription.  Designed by the Detroit firm of George Mason and Albert Kahn, the New Engineering Building was completed in 1904, and enlarged through expansion of its east wing in 1910. Created to anchor the southeast end of the original campus, the building straddles the corner with the famous "Engine Arch." On its ground floor was the first towing tank ever built by an educational institution in the United States. It is still used for naval architecture and marine engineering research. This building was also the first home of the College of Architecture, which was originally a department within Engineering. In 1923, the building became known as West Engineering when a new facility, called East Engineering was built across East University Avenue. In the mid-1980s, the College of Engineering finished relocating from Central to North Campus. Since then, West. Engineering, renamed West Hall in 1995, has housed the School of Information and programs of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. West Engineering was the first building on the University of Michigan campus to be designed by Albert Kahn, a pioneer of American industrial architecture who designed
West Engineering - West Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, September 10, 2021
2. West Engineering - West Hall Marker
Located just inside arch across from The Denison Archway Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
several significant structures on campus. This marker commemorates the centennial of this landmark building and the significant relationship of Albert Kahn to the University.
 
Erected 2004 by History and Traditions Committee, University of Michigan. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
 
Location. 42° 16.532′ N, 83° 44.179′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South University Avenue and East University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1085 S University Ave, Ann Arbor MI 48109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Denison Archway (a few steps from this marker); Engineering at Michigan (within shouting distance of this marker); The Corners of South University and East University Avenues (within shouting distance of this marker); McDivitt-White Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Social and Political Change on South University (within shouting distance of this marker); East University Avenue Campus Boundary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Denton (about 400 feet away); Charles Fox (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
West Engineering was renamed West Hall in 1995. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, September 10, 2021
3. West Engineering was renamed West Hall in 1995.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181702

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 18, 2021