Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
in Ohio - War of 1812
Six miles east is the west-
ern boundary of "The Fire
Lands" - given by Connecticut
to its citizens for property
destroyed by the British
during the Revolution.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C47.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 30.634′ N, 82° 56.558′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd Street and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west on West 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 West 3rd Street, Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Mill Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Expedition 1813 (approx. half a mile away); War of 1812 (approx. half a mile away); Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754 Fort Sites / De Lery Portage (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boundary Marker (approx. 6.2 miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 7.4 miles away); South Bass Island Light (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Clinton.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Regarding End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812. As part of his preparations to recapture Detroit and invade Canada, General William Henry Harrison built a chain of forts northward, along both the Sandusky River Valley and the Sandusky-Scioto Trail, from what is now Upper Sandusky, Ohio (Fort Ferree), to what is now Tiffin, Ohio (Fort Ball), to what is now Old Fort, Ohio (Fort Seneca), all the way to what is now Fremont, Ohio (Fort Stephenson). These forts were intended to protect the American lines of supply and communication as General Harrison attempted to both position and build up his forces while he was seeking the opportunity for an invasion of British controlled Canada. Once the opportunity to invade Canada became available, General Harrison planned to march a portion of his invasion force northward, along what became known as the Harrison Trail (originally the Sandusky-Scioto Trail),
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,512 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on June 28, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.