Desdemona in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Desdemona First Baptist Church
This church was organized by nine charter members in 1872. Religious observances began with brush arbor meetings organized in the summer of 1872 by the Rev. Johnnie Northcutt. Early settlers traveled by wagon, horseback, buggy, and on foot to meet under the canopy of Spanish oaks along the banks of nearby Hog Creek (about 1 mile south) to hear Northcutt's Baptist sermons. Beginning in the fall of 1872 monthly services were held in a schoolhouse built near the Hog Creek site by Johnny Carruth and Charlie Mitchell.
The congregation, originally called Rockdale Baptist Church, built their first sanctuary in the village of Desdemona shortly after the establishment of the community's first post office in 1877. About that time the church was renamed Desdemona First Baptist Church. Box suppers, baptisms, picnic services at area lakes and water tanks, and lengthy revivals soon became routine activities for the congregation.
The discovery of oil here transformed Desdemona from a small village to a booming oil town by 1919. To escape the crowded conditions of Desdemona the congregation built a new sanctuary at this site in
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 32° 16.344′ N, 98° 32.912′ W. Marker is in Desdemona, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 504 and County Highway 505, on the left when traveling east on County Highway 504. The marker is located in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Desdemona TX 76445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Blair, C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Desdemona Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dr. David Verle Rodgers (approx. 8˝ miles away); Site of Blackwell Hospital (approx. 8˝ miles away); Lingleville Tabernacle (approx. 10.2 miles away); Lingleville (approx. 10.4 miles away); Frances Marie Sparks Brown (approx. 10.9 miles away); Texas Central Railroad (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Desdemona.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.