Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure

 
 
Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
1. Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure Marker
Inscription.  
This figure is the remaining part of a fountain given to the city by former Governor Aaron T. Bliss in 1902 and placed in Old Federal Park as a memorial to his comrades who fell in the battles of the Civil War.

In 1936, prior to the construction of an addition to the United States Post Office on Federal Park, the fountain was moved to this park, also donated by Governor Bliss, and placed near Michigan Avenue.

The fountain was toppled over by a severe windstorm in November, 1940, shattering the basins and severely damaging the figure, which was salvaged, repaired and re-erected here in 1941.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1940.
 
Location. 43° 25.676′ N, 83° 57.315′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is on North Harrison Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is about 300 feet north of Catherine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1441 North Michigan Avenue, Saginaw MI 48602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bliss Park (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Hospital
Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
2. Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure Marker
View of the marker and the statue pedestal looking toward the southeast.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Carl Cardwell Poston, Jr. (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fred J. Borchard Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saginaw Valley Lumbering Era (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hoyt Park Shelter and Field House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Soldiers Fountain and Statue
According to the Bliss Park National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (1995), the fountain was called the Soldier's Fountain and "was located between the picnic grounds and the east playfield." The statue was of a "Civil War soldier, standing at parade rest" and "was removed and placed in storage after it was damaged by vandals in the late 1940s."
    — Submitted September 15, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the statue and the Soldier's Fountain. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181904

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021