Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Civic Stability

— A Trail to Deadwood's Past —

 
 
Civic Stability Marker (replacement marker) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
1. Civic Stability Marker (replacement marker)
Inscription.  Deadwood erected two monuments to order and permanence in the early 1900s. The federal building open in 1907, and activities in the county courthouse started the next year.

In its early gold rush days, Deadwood was a wild, raucous mining camp with a widespread reputation for lawlessness. But over time the community matured, and the residents supported law and order. Townspeople viewed the two government buildings as symbols of the respectability, permanence and importance that Deadwood had achieved.

Captions:
The building on the left in this 1800s photograph served as Lawrence County Courthouse until workers demolished it to make way for the new courthouse. The structures farther north on Sherman are on the site of the federal building.
The new county courthouse, shown here in 1909, boasted beautiful murals on the walls and ceilings. Renovations covered this art, but it was exposed and restored in 1991. Additions have expanded the size of the original building, but it still serves at the center of county business.
The United States District Court had met in Deadwood since the early gold rush days.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Its first meeting in the mining camp was in a saloon on Lee Street. In the new federal building, the courtrooms occupied the second floor while the post office was on the first. The classical revival design proclaimed the federal presence in the community.

 
Erected by Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
 
Location. 44° 22.506′ N, 103° 43.764′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Sherman Street and Pine Street on Sherman Street. Located next to the Post Office building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Job Corps Project (a few steps from this marker); President Taft Comes to Deadwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Deadwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Hills Railroads (within shouting distance of this marker); Weight a Minute (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Hills Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence County Jails & Capital Punishment (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Utility Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Civic Stability Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, October 6, 2021
2. Civic Stability Marker
 
Civic Stability Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 1, 2009
3. Civic Stability Marker
The marker is located to the left of the Post Office building, to the left of the just visible flag pole.
Deadwood's Federal Plaza image. Click for full size.
Historic Deadwood Walkiing Tour brochure, circa 2004
4. Deadwood's Federal Plaza
Lawrence County Courthouse at the end of the street.
Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
5. Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center
Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
6. Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center
Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
7. Deadwood Railroad Depot, now Visitor's Center
Former Civic Stability Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2009
8. Former Civic Stability Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 818 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on October 7, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183275

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024