Pensacola in Escambia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This is the site of the Spanish Presidio Santa Maria de Galve (1698-1719). It was the first permanent settlement in Pensacola and only the second successful permanent settlement in Florida. It was founded in 1698 by Captain Juan Jordan de Reina and Anfres de Arriola, Governor, with a force of 357 people. The largest feature of the settlement was a large square wooden fort with walls 300 feet long and large diamond-shaped bastions on each corner. Just east of the fort was a church and a cemetery. Farther east was a small village where the Spanish and Indians lived until 1707. After that time, the entire community of up to 500 people had to live inside the fort for protection. Many facilities were then constructed in the fort including living quarters, cistern, hospital, bake ovens, offices, guardhouses, and a garden area. Poorly manned and supplied, this small settlement managed to survive under almost constant attacks by Indians allied with the British. The French took the settlement by force in 1719 and burned the fort. The Spanish rebuilt in 1723 on Santa Rosa Island across the bay. For 300 years, this site was lost, but between 1995-1998,
Erected 1998 by the Pensacola Historical Society and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-400.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1698.
Location. 30° 20.967′ N, 87° 17.537′ W. Marker is in Pensacola, Florida, in Escambia County. Marker is on Slemmer Avenue north of Hatch Road, on the left when traveling north. Located on the Pensacola Naval Air Station. Access is limited. Obtain permission before proceeding on base and to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pensacola FL 32508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pathway to Early America (here, next to this marker); Spain to Pensacola (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Hospital Compound (approx. 0.4 miles away); Resisting Land-based Assaults (approx. half a mile away); Pensacola’s First Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); U.S. Navy and Coast Guard MemorialOfficers of the Uniformed Services Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Navy Seabees Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pensacola.
Also see . . . Spanish Fortifications of Pensacola, 1698-1763. Florida Historical Quarterly website entry (Submitted on December 3, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.