Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomington in McLean County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Oscar and Sara Mandel House

 
 
Oscar and Sara Mandel House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
1. Oscar and Sara Mandel House Marker
Inscription.  
402 E. Grove St.
Oscar and Sara
Mandel House


Queen Anne Architectural Style,
1894 George Miller, Architect

Moved here in 2004 from 507 E. Washington, restored by
Diana Krieg, and awarded Best Curb Appeal by This Old House
in 2012. Oscar Mandel, a philanthropist and leader in the Jewish
community, owned My Store in downtown Bloomington.
His family lived in the house for over 100 years.

 
Erected by Dimmitt's Grove Neighborhood Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 40° 28.681′ N, 88° 59.375′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Illinois, in McLean County. Marker is at the intersection of East Grove Street and South Gridley Street, on the right when traveling west on East Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 E Grove St, Bloomington IL 61701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. David & Elizabeth Moore House (a few steps from this marker); Lawrence and Mary Jane Weldon House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Horace and Nora McCurdy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward & Ora Gridley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ezra & Barbara Prince House (within shouting distance of this marker); John and Caroline Roush House (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene and Mary Funk House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ruben & Laura Benjamin House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
 
Regarding Oscar and Sara Mandel House. According to East Grove Street Architectural/Historical Survey by Greg Koos (1985), a pair of apartment buildings previously occupied the site. The T.W. Wood Flats was at 402 East Grove and the Mabel Holmes duplex occupied 404 and 406 East Grove. The Wood Flats was built in 1900-02 and had an Arts and Craft design. The Holmes duplex was built as a single-family Craftsman style home circa 1895 and later converted into apartments. In one of their blog posts about their relocation and restoration of the Mandel House, Diana Krieg and Dawn
Oscar and Sara Mandel House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 10, 2021
2. Oscar and Sara Mandel House Marker
Peters said the buildings previously on both lots had been demolished and the vacant land used as an informal neighborhood dog park before the house was moved there.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183794

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024