Metter in Candler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Candler County Courthouse
Erected 1980. (Marker Number 80000984.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Landmarks • Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 23.803′ N, 82° 3.741′ W. Marker is in Metter, Georgia, in Candler County. Marker is on West Broad Street (Georgia Route 46/23) near North Kennedy Street, on the left when traveling west. Courthouse Square entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Metter GA 30439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Candler County (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Armed Forces Tribute (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Candler County War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Metter's Fountain (about 400 feet away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pulaski, Georgia (approx. 6.2 miles away); Excelsior and its Academy Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metter.
Regarding Candler County Courthouse. Candler County Courthouse ** (added 1980 - Building - #80000984)
Courthouse Sq., Metter
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
Architect, builder, or engineer: King Lumber Co., Baldwin,J.J.
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Area of Significance: Communications, Architecture, Economics, Law, Politics/Government
Period of Significance: 1900-1924
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Government
Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
Current Function: Government
Current Sub-function: Courthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 925 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.