Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colma in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Molloy’s Springs

(Old Brooksville Hotel)

 
 
Molloy’s Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
1. Molloy’s Springs Marker
Inscription.  
Built by Peter Brooks in 1883, serving the needs of tourists, local citizens, mourners, partyers, Clampers, and a host of others ever since.
 
Erected 1983 by Yerba Buena No.1 – Joaquin Murrieta No.13, Sam Brannan No.1004, Monterey Viejo No.1846, Mountain Charlie No.1850, Chapters of E. Clampus Vitus.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 15, 1947.
 
Location. 37° 40.21′ N, 122° 27.06′ W. Marker is in Colma, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Mission Road, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located at the entrance to Molloy's Springs Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1665 Mission Road, Daly City CA 94014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joe Cavalli – Historical Site (a few steps from this marker); Waterworks and the Pump House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colma City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles
Molloy’s Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
2. Molloy’s Springs Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Cuneo Farm and Produce Market (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Olivet Cemetery Office and Streetcar Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); Colma Historical Museum (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colma.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Molloy's Springs
Originally called the Brooks & Carey Saloon and later the Brooksville Hotel, this historic landmark is now known as Molloy's Tavern. It was built in 1883 along the Southern Pacific Railroad line to house workers who were engaged in cemetery building. It is the oldest commercial establishment in continuous operation in Colma. Frank Molloy purchased the building from Patrick Brooks in 1929. It has long been recognized as the center of Colma's Irish community. Today its walls are decorated with historic photographs and documents. Still, in the hands of the Molloy family, funeral parties congregate here to give a final toast to the departed.
    —
Molloy’s Springs Tavern image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
3. Molloy’s Springs Tavern
Submitted April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18405

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 30, 2022