Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
North College Street Historic District
The land occupied by the Historic District was originally owned by members of the Creek Nation prior to the founding of the City of Auburn in 1836. The oldest home is the Halliday-Cary-Pick house (c. 1848), one of the two homes built in Auburn in raised cottage style. Also included in the district is Auburn's third depot, the previous two having burned, the first by Rousseau's Raiders in 1864. The North College Historic District was approved on March 21, 2006. The character
Erected 2013 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Auburn Historic Preservation Commission, Auburn Heritage Association and the Auburn Preservation League.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 36.857′ N, 85° 28.912′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is on North College Street north of West Drake Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 N College St, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis (approx. ¼ mile away); The Auburn Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Crescent (approx. 0.3 miles away); Luckie Meagher's Kindergarten / Sani-Freeze Dairy Bar (approx. 0.3 miles away); Auburn First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); General James Henry Lane House (approx. 0.4 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.