Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Central of Georgia
You are entering the heart of the Central of Georgia railroad complex in Savannah. This "miniature city" produced much of what was needed for the construction and repair of locomotives and train cars. It handled administration, passenger and freight activities. Most of these buildings were constructed in the 1850's or 1920's. The Central of Georgia was a major employer and a driving economic force in the state and region. The move from steam to diesel locomotives shifted work to the Macon complex. The Savannah facilities closed in 1963.
Today the complex is owned by the City of Savannah. The Coastal Heritage Society began restoration and rehabilitation activities in 1989. This massive effort continues along with increasing visitor opportunities. In 1996, the Georgia State Legislature designated it the Georgia State Railroad Museum.
1893 State of Georgia charters Central Railroad and Canal Company
1836 Railroad shops construction begins north of Louisville Road
1855 Railroad shops completed south of Louisville Road
1866 Repairs made after Civil War damage
1895 Central Railroad enters receivership; reorganizes as the Central of Georgia Railway
1910 Macon rail shops built
1923 Fire partially destroys Savannah shops
1927 Company builds employee hospital in Savannah
1940 First use of Diesel locomotives
1952 End of steam locomotive use
1963 Southern Railway buys and closes Savannah shops
1967 Citizens commission begins acquiring site
1972 City of Savannah acquires site
1978 Passenger station and rail shops designated National Landmark District
Erected by Coastal Heritage Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1963.
Location. 32° 4.554′ N, 81° 6.104′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on W. Jones St. near Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roundhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Colored Shopmen's Locker & Lavatory (within shouting distance of this marker); Roundhouse Foremans OfficeDrop Table (within shouting distance of this marker); Storehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); To Arms (about 300 feet away); Memorial To The American Revolution (about 300 feet away); George Clymer (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . .
1. The Central Rail Road and Canal Company. (Submitted on April 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Central of Georgia Railroad: Savannah Shops and Terminal Facilities. (Submitted on April 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,367 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.