Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James H. Taylor (d. 1876), one of the five founders of Del Rio, and his wife Paula (Losoya) (d.1902), a native of Mexico, moved here from Uvalde about 1870 and built this one-story adobe residence. A prominent landowner and merchant, Taylor also owned a local gristmill. After his death, Paula married Charles Rivers (d. 1879) and later operated the home as a boarding house. She also became benefactress for the city's Mexican community, contributing land for a school and cemetery. The Taylor-Rivers house remained in her family until 1939.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5212.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 20.99′ N, 100° 53.787′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of East Nicholson Road and Hudson Drive, on the right when traveling east on East Nicholson Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Hudson Drive, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Mason-Foster House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roy Bean, C. S. A. (about 700 feet away); Old Perry Building (about 700 feet away); Seminole-Negro Scouts (about 800 feet away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. ¼ mile away); Val Verde Winery (approx. ¼ mile away); Brown Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); Santos S. Garza (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 173 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.