Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highmore in Hyde County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Highmore

Elevation 1890

 
 
Highmore Marker image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
1. Highmore Marker
Inscription.  Highmore, so named as highest point on Northwestern between Chicago and Missouri River, was called Siding No. 5, until Peter O. Swalen was appointed postmaster 7 June 1882, soon after the first surveyors found him and 31 other squatters holding down claims in the vicinity. Hyde County, created in 1873, was named for James Hyde, a legislator from Vermillion. Eight townships long E and W it was only four high and lay south of Hand County, both in same joint area as of today. The 1879 legislature took the East ⅝th of Hyde and added it to Hand but forgot to give Hyde the west ⅜th of Hand and so until February 1883 it was just half a county high with its present north half in no county.

Governor Ordway appointed John Falde and A. E. Van Camp to organize Hyde County. They did so on October 1, 1883. He also appointed L. E. Whitcher and George W. Dunham for a like purpose and on November 5, 1883 they organized and set up a 2nd county organization. Both groups met and functioned but the question was as to who could issue a legal tax receipt. This went on until September 1, 1884 when, as a compromise, Falde resigned and that Board
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
"wound up its earthly career by final adjournment and dissolution." The next day Van Camp and Whitcher met, re-organized and started a 100 per cent legal county with new officers. Hyde County's highest population was in 1925 when it had an even 4000, Highmore's in 1950 with 1158. Outstanding citizens were Congressman Royal C. Johnson (1882-1939) and Lt. Gov. Howard C. Shober (1859-1957). In 1951 a fine auditorium seating 1200 was completed.
 
Erected 1958 by Highmore Booster Club and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 244.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 7, 1882.
 
Location. 44° 31.658′ N, 99° 26.623′ W. Marker is in Highmore, South Dakota, in Hyde County. Marker is on 197th Street (U.S. 14) 0.1 miles west of Iowa Avenue North (South Dakota Highway 47), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highmore SD 57345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Hyde County Courthouse South Dakota (approx. 0.8 miles away).
 
Highmore Marker, from the east image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
2. Highmore Marker, from the east
Highmore Marker, from the west image. Click for full size.
November 6, 2021
3. Highmore Marker, from the west
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2021. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185462

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024