Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Point in Lawrence County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Burlington Commons

First County Seat

 

— Est. 1817 —

 
Burlington Commons Marker image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 29, 2021
1. Burlington Commons Marker
History of Burlington
The Lawrence County Historical Society website entry
Click for more information.
Inscription.  
[title is inscription]

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
 
Location. 38° 24.435′ N, 82° 31.723′ W. Marker is in South Point, Ohio, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Jefferson Street (County Road 1) just east of Court Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in Burlington Commons Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Point OH 45680, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Catalpa Tree (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Administration Hospital (approx. one mile away in West Virginia); Wayne County / Cabell County (approx. 1½ miles away in West Virginia); Camp Pierpont (approx. 1.7 miles away in West Virginia); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Chesapeake & Ohio 1308 (approx. 2.8 miles away in West Virginia); William Davidson (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ceredo - Kenova (approx. 3.4 miles away in West Virginia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Point.
 
Regarding Burlington Commons.
Burlington Commons Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 29, 2021
2. Burlington Commons Marker
(marker is between flag poles on right • old stone jail in background)
Click or scan to see
this page online
Shortly after Lawrence County was organized by Capt. James Lawrence of Burlington, N.J., in 1816, a courthouse and jail were erected and a park laid out at Burlington. John C. Sperry built the stone jail at Burlington after the log jail burned down. When the jail was built the village was a thriving community having four stores, an academy, two churches, a newspaper printing office, and between 40 to 60 dwellings. The courthouse was torn down some years ago. Only the jail building stands in what was once the historic square in the little village of Burlington.
 
Also see . . .  Lawrence County, Ohio. Wikipedia entry:
Lawrence County was formed on December 20, 1816 from parts of Gallia and Scioto counties, with the county seat named as Burlington. When first settled, Lawrence County was rich in natural resources such as iron, timber, coal, natural gas, oil, and salt. By the beginning of the twentieth century, many of these had been depleted by resource extraction and industrial development. In 1851 the county seat was moved from Burlington to Ironton. (Submitted on November 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Burlington Commons image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 29, 2021
3. Burlington Commons
(marker is between flag poles in background)
Lawrence County Jail
Built 1846
Future Home of the
Underground Railroad Museum
at the Historic Lawrence County Jail
1846 Lawrence County Jail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 29, 2021
4. 1846 Lawrence County Jail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 8, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185481

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 8, 2023