Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The vision of Thomas Green and Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson that led to the founding of Clemson University was made possible by Fort Hill. After the death of his wife and children, Thomas Green Clemson bequeathed his estate to the state to support a “high seminary of learning.” A plaque denotes where the first meeting of the original Board of Trustees took place under an oak tree on the property. In his last will and testament, Mr. Clemson eloquently described his and Anna's vision for the institution and instructed that Fort Hill “shall always be
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Clemson University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
Location. 34° 40.652′ N, 82° 50.295′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun Drive and Fernow Street, on the right when traveling west on Calhoun Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 433 Calhoun Dr, Clemson SC 29634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sirrine Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Riggs Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trustee House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Hill (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Hill (about 400 feet away); Site of the First Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Clemson Agricultural College (about 400 feet away); Fort Hill Plantation Office (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.