Calistoga in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Calistoga City Hall
Originally built to house Calistoga’s volunteer fire department, the building was used concurrently as the City Hall, the Library, the Circuit Court and the hall for the town band.
The site has been in use continually as the City of Calistoga’s Legislative Office Building since 1902.
Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004
E Clampus Vitus
March 15, 1986
Erected 1986 by Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 34.733′ N, 122° 34.77′ W. Marker is in Calistoga, California, in Napa County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1232 Washington Street, Calistoga CA 94515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calistoga Sam Brannan Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount View Hotel (about 400 feet away); Calistoga Depot (about 500 feet away); Oat Hill Mine Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Faithful Steam Well (approx. 1.7 miles away); Schramsberg (approx. 3.2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calistoga.
Also see . . . History of Calistoga. Samuel Brannan was the leader of a settlement expedition on the ship Brooklyn, landing in Yerba Buena (San Francisco) in 1846. He published San Francisco's first English language newspaper, the California Star. Following the discovery of gold in Sacramento, Brannan pursued many business ventures, which made him California’s first millionaire and became a leader in San Francisco's Committee of Vigilance (the much feared Vigilantes). Fascinated by Calistoga’s natural hot springs, Brannan purchased more than 2000 acre with the intent to develop a spa reminiscent of Saratoga in New York. (Submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Reggie Kostner was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Edward D. Hawkins
— Submitted April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
2. Calistoga City Hall
Calistoga's present City Hall sits on the site of the Badlam Opera House, named after a niece of Sam Brannan, founder of Calistoga. After the Badlam Opera House burned at the turn of the century, the Calistoga City Council, in 1901, voted to build the present building on the site. Actual work on the City Hall was completed in 1902. Originally built to house Calistoga's volunteer Fire Department, the building was used concurrently as the City Hall, the library,
The original appearance of the building has basically changed little over the years. The City Hall is an interesting composition of pioneer false-front and Mission Revival styles. A two-story rectangular building with its gable end to the street, it has the gable roof concealed by the false front. Walls are stuccoed and an elaborate shingled cornice of the false front has a squeezed pediment with a half-circle lunette. Windows are narrow with one-over-one double hung sashes. A porch supported by square columns with a second story balustrade extends across the front. The open bell tower is a distinctive feature, sitting above the second story, and is topped by a Mission Revival cupola, which echoes the architecture of the building beneath it .
Loren Wilson, 1986
— Submitted April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,515 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.