Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blue Ridge in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Blue Ridge

 
 
Blue Ridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jesse Nelsen, November 10, 2021
1. Blue Ridge Marker
Inscription.  

Located in northeast Collin County and positioned between Desert and Pilot Grove Creeks, Blue Ridge was named for its hilltop location and the blue-flowering grass in the area. From a distance, the grass looked like a blue haze. Pioneers began to settle this area in the 1830s. Deed records date back to Matthew Mowry who received a Republic of Texas land grant for services in the war for Independence from Mexico. Other early settlers were Isadore Boren, who settled seven miles southeast of town in present-day Arnold Community, Wilson McDonald, John Bowman and W.C. Holmes, the first doctor.

In the 1870s, the first store in a one-room log cabin opened just south of the town square, operated by William and James Moyers. Other early establishments were a one-room school, the Blue Ridge Masonic Lodge No. 490 and the J.A. Barnett Cotton Gin, along with the variety store, dentist office, Blue Ridge National Bank and hardware store on the town square. Many people in the area were farmers and ranchers and flocked to the two gins located here. Raising cotton, corn, wheat, oats, hay and cattle provided the livelihood for many.

The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
first Methodist church was organized in 1880 and the first Baptist church organized in 1885. Citizens recall an active Church of Christ as early as 1890. Until 1895, all church services were held in the schoolhouse, with each denomination taking turns. In 1937, the high school was constructed with works progress administration labor. With an increase in population, new schools and businesses have been established as the beautiful countryside of Blue Ridge continues to attract people to the area.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18078.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 33° 17.873′ N, 96° 24.077′ W. Marker is in Blue Ridge, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Tilton Street and South Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Tilton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blue Ridge TX 75424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Washington Smith (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grounds Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Verona Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); Indian Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
Blue Ridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jesse Nelsen, November 10, 2021
2. Blue Ridge Marker
(approx. 6 miles away); Pleasant Grove Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Elm Grove Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away); Van Winkle Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blue Ridge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=185635

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024