Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Henderson County Courthouse

 
 
Henderson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
1. Henderson County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The Texas Legislature created Henderson County in 1846. For the next few years, county commissioners met at various locations, including private homes and the communities of Buffalo and Centerville. Samuel Huffer later determined the center of the county was on the Thomas Parmer survey, and Matthew Cartwright secured 160 acres for the new courthouse. In 1850, the county seat moved to Athens, which was incorporated in 1856.

County commissioners hired John Loop to construct a log courthouse. It served as the court building for 11 years. In 1860, William Warenskjold began construction on a two-story frame courthouse, which burned in 1885, leaving only the district and county clerk buildings standing. C.H. Hawn & Co. constructed the next courthouse, which was used until 1913. That June, with a design by L.L. Thurmon & Company of Dallas, the commissioners court approved the bid of L.R. Wright & Company to build a new courthouse on the square.

Accepted by the court in January 1914, the Henderson County Courthouse exhibits a Classical Revival design. The building is comprised of three floors above a basement, and features a central
Henderson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
2. Henderson County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
dome and four three-bay pedimented entries with Tuscan columns. The cross-axial plan is formed from a central block with single bays projecting from each corner. Original detailing includes marble stairways and wainscoting on the interior.

Since becoming the county's public center, the courthouse has been the location of the "Old Fiddlers" contest and other events. Today, memorials and tributes to Henderson County veterans, leaders, residents and history are located on the square.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002

 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13831.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1914.
 
Location. 32° 12.281′ N, 95° 51.259′ W. Marker is in Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on East Corsicana Street (Business U.S. 175), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Tyler Street, Athens TX 75751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courts Under the Oaks (within shouting distance of this marker); Faulk-Gauntt Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Athens Review (about 700 feet away); Jess Sweeten (about 800 feet away); 1925 Henderson County Jail
Henderson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
3. Henderson County Courthouse
(about 800 feet away); Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sid Williams Richardson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Athens Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186715

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021