Cooper in Delta County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Nathaniel L. Corbet
After a brief stay in Indian Territory, Corbet and his family moved to Texas in 1845 and opened a mercantile store in Ben Franklin, Lamar County (now Delta County). Corbet's general store was typical of the time, stocking a wide range of products for the average pioneer. His business expanded to blacksmithing and then farming and ranching. In 1863, he sold the ranch near Ben Franklin and moved five miles into Hopkins County (now Delta County). There, in
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18906.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 22.437′ N, 95° 41.388′ W. Marker is in Cooper, Texas, in Delta County. Marker is at the intersection of West Dallas Avenue (State Highway 24) and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on West Dallas Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Dallas Avenue, Cooper TX 75432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Texas Livery Stable (here, next to this marker); First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cooper Rail Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Delta County (approx. Hiram Rattan (approx. 3.4 miles away); DeSpain Bridge (approx. 4.8 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 10.9 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooper.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.