Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal

 
 
Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2021
1. Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal Marker
Inscription.  Origins of the Episcopal Denomination in the area date to an 1839 visit by Bishop Leonidas Polk of Louisiana, and his return in 1841 to perform the first baptism in northeast Texas at Pine Creek, a few miles north of Paris. The Diocese of Texas appointed Rev. Francis R. Starr to be missionary to Paris and nearby areas in 1870. He preached his first service in Paris on Feb. 7, 1870, and the Church of the Holy Cross was received into the diocese on June 9, 1870. The first vestry was composed of I.W. Wells, J.E. Roberts, J.K.P. Campbell, D.J. Ford, and J.W. Moore. Rev. Starr was rector for the first seven years of the church.

The original facilities were a frame chapel and log cabin rectory where the Lamar County Courthouse now stands. After several moves between 1884 and 1887, the congregation settled on South Main Street, but that church was destroyed in the Paris fire of 1916. It is believed that the architectural plans for the present Gothic Renaissance style church were furnished by an English-born parishioner, Richard H. Blyth, and that it was modeled after an identical church in the British Midlands. The church and rectory were
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
completed in 1917-18, the Bettes Memorial Parish Hall was built in 1920, and the Ruth McLaughlin Riddle Hall was added in 1984.

The 26th Convention of the Diocese of Dallas met in Jan. 1921 at Holy Cross, the second-oldest parish in the diocese. Rev. James W. O'Connell, known later simply as "Rector", served here from 1944 to 1974, building membership, organizing the youth of the church and becoming part of community life. Through organizations and outreach, Holy Cross has upheld the importance of building and nurturing relationships with fellow parishioners and with the community.
 
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18904.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1870.
 
Location. 33° 39.477′ N, 95° 33.279′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is on South Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 South Church Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Paris (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Cooke Buckner (about 600 feet away); Paris Fire Department
Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2021
2. Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal Marker
(about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. ¼ mile away); Judge Wm. Henry Lightfoot House (approx. ¼ mile away); Paris Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2021
3. Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187235

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024