Near Cashiers in Jackson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Church of the Good Shepherd
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of Education
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 35° 5.859′ N, 83° 5.131′ W. Marker is near Cashiers, North Carolina, in Jackson County. It can be reached from North Carolina 107 (State Highway 107) south of Partridge Berry Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1448 NC-107, Cashiers NC 28717, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Carolina’s and he Mountains in the Golden Corner. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, in Appalachia, and specifically in Southern Appalachia. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the original Cherokee Nation, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Zachary-Tolbert House (approx. half a mile away); Wade Hampton (approx. 1.4 miles away); Grimshawes (approx. 2.9 miles away); Baccus Lodge c. 1907 (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mary Lapham (approx. 6.9 miles away); Elizabeth Wright Prince House (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Episcopal Church of the Incarnation (approx. 7 miles away); Samuel T. Kelsey (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cashiers.
Regarding The Church of the Good Shepherd. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
The Church of the Good Shepherd is a weatherboarded Gothic Revival chapel in the resort town of Cashiers, N.C. Sited on a shady knoll amid native rhododendron and flame azaleas, the chapel was built in 1895 to replace an earlier structure which burned in 1892. Both buildings served a summer colony of South Carolinians, most notably the General Wade Hampton family, which contributed to their construction. The Hamptons donated the church bell, now housed in a free-standing tower northwest of the building.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

