Godley in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town of Godley began in 1886, as rancher and lumber merchant R. B. Godley donated land for a townsite and right-of-way to the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. Predating the railroad town was the local school, as Johnson County Commissioners Court formed Godley Independent School District in July 1884. Dr. John I. Pearson was one of the earliest teachers. Godley College began in 1899 in a three-story frame building, becoming Godley High School three years later. A three-story brick building opened in time for graduation in 1916.
Godley School experienced great growth in the late 1930s through rural school consolidation and federal New Deal agency aid. A 1937 gymnasium and 1939 auditorium enlarged the existing campus. The auditorium (later a library) was completed with financial and labor assistance through the National Youth Administration. A new main building, completed in 1940 with Works Progress Administration funds, joined the gymnasium and auditorium into a single building and an unusually large facility for a rural school. School buildings from Bruce, Pleasant View and Cottonwood were moved here as part of the
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16441.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 32° 27.453′ N, 97° 31.649′ W. Marker is in Godley, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on North Pearson. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 N Pearson, Godley TX 76044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bruce-Davis House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Cresson School (approx. 7½ miles away); Grave of Elizabeth Crockett (approx. 9.2 miles away); Acton Cemetery (approx. 9.3 miles away); Former Acton Masonic Lodge Hall (approx. 9.3 miles away); Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association (approx. 10.1 miles away); Three Miles South to the Grave of Elizabeth Crockett (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A clear, full close up photo of the marker. • Can you help?