Echo Park in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Jensenís Recreation Center
And Rooftop Sign
Erected 1998 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 652.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Sports. In addition, it is included in the City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 34° 4.628′ N, 118° 15.515′ W. Marker is in Echo Park, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Logan Street, on the right when traveling east on Sunset Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1706 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aimee Semple McPherson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victorian Residence (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Victorian Residence (approx. half a mile away); Mack Sennett Studios (approx. 0.6 miles away); Carroll Avenue (approx. 0.6 miles away); Barlow Sanitorium (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Fire Station Number 6 (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Music Box Steps (approx. one mile away).
Regarding Jensenís Recreation Center. Built in 1924 by Henry Christian Jensen, a German immigrant who made his fortune making bricks for the rapidly growing city of Los Angeles. He also built the Raymond Theater in Pasadena and the Melrose Theater in East Hollywood. The three-story Jensenís Recreation Center originally had a bowling alley and a pool hall at street level, and 46 apartments on the top two levels. The center was a hub of activity for the neighborhood, and often hosted celebrity athletic events, until it closed in the 1970ís. In 1997 the rooftop sign was restored after being dark for fifty years. In 1998, Jensens Recreation Center and Electric Roof Sign was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 652. In 2004, a developer purchased the building and began restoration.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 20, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.