Riverdale Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Riversdale
The Stier-Calvert Mansion, 1801–1807
In the summer of 1794, as French Republican troops approached Antwerp, Flemish aristocrat Henri Joseph Stier (1743–1821) and his family fled to Philadelphia, taking with them their most valuable possessions, including the finest collection of Old World master paintings ever to cross the Atlantic at that time.
The Stier family moved to Annapolis in 1795. There Rosalie, the Stier's younger daughter (1778-1821) met George Calvert (1768-1838), a delegate to the Maryland Legislature and grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore, the founding family of Maryland. Calvert was master of Mount Albion, a large plantation near Upper Malboro. He and Rosalie were married in the summer of 1799, spent part of their honeymoon trip at Mount Vernon, and took up residence at Mount Albion, now known as Goodwood.
In 1800, Henri Stier bought farmland
In 1838, Riversdale passed to Rosalie and George Calvert's second son, Charles Benedict Calvert (1808–1863)—U.S.
During the next 50 years, Riversdale had a series of private owners. In the late 1940s, retired U.S. Congressman Abraham Lafferty sold the house with its remaining grounds to the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, which used Riversdale as offices until restoration began in 1988. Riversdale was reopened to the public in 1993 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997.
Erected by Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 38° 57.64′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale MD 20737, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Signs of War (a few steps from this marker); This Demiculverin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Riversdale Dependency (about 300 feet away); Riverdale School (about 400 feet away); Riverdale Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale Park.
More about this marker. Park at the mansion's parking lot on 48th Avenue at Oliver Street.
Also see . . .
1. Riversdale House Museum History. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
2. Riverdale Town History, 1800–1899. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
3. Riverdale Town History, 1900–1999. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
4. Riversdale Virtual Tour. (Submitted on March 21, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,002 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 7. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8, 9. submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.