Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early landowner Baldwin L. Samuel deeded land in this area to his daughter Mary and her husband Isaac Foster in 1876. The Fosters and their daughter Lucy (Lula) and her husband William B. Garvey moved here from Kentucky in 1882 and built a home overlooking the Trinity River on a lot adjacent to this home site. At that time many of the city's wealthiest families were building impressive homes along Samuels Avenue and the bluff of the Trinity River.
The Garveys bought this lot from the Fosters in 1883 and in 1884 built a small 1-story frame residence. By the late 1890s they had enlarged the house to its current 2-story Queen Anne style appearance. The house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including asymmetrical massing, porches, dormers, and beehive turrets.
The house was bequeathed to Baptist Church Charities following the Garveys' deaths in 1915. Merchant Robert C. Veihl and his wife, Lena B., bought the home in 1918. It was maintained by the Veihl family until 1959, but was subsequently abandoned and in 1972 faced condemnation. The house was saved and eventually renovated.
The house is representative of
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2105.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 32° 46.122′ N, 97° 19.861′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Samuels Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 769 Samuels Avenue, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer's Rest Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); General Edward H. Tarrant (approx. ¼ mile away); Douglass and McGar Parks (approx. 0.4 miles away); Racial Terror Lynching in America / Racial Terror Lynching of Mr. Fred Rouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Former TSTA Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Greater Saint James Baptist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Historical Sketch of Greater St. James Baptist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Worth 1849-1853 (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 29, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.