London in Middlesex County, Ontario — Central Canada
Middlesex Court House
Le Palais de Justice de Middlesex
Erected in 1830, this building was modelled after Malahide Castle, near Dublin, Ireland, the ancestral home of Colonel Thomas Talbot, founder of the Talbot Settlement. The site was a part of the town plot set aside by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe after his visit to The Forks in February, 1793. Here he proposed to locate the provincial capital.
En 1830, le colonel Talbot, fondateur de la colonie Talbot, fit erige cet edifice d’apres le modele, de Malahide Castle, pres de Dublin, sa maison ancestrale. L’emplacement faisait partie du lotissement urbain reserve par le lieutenant-gouverneur John Graves Simcoe, lors de sa visite a The Forks, en fevrier 1793, C’est ici qu’il projetait d’etablir la capitale provinciale.
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des liex et monuments historiques du Canada
Erected 1957 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1793.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 399 Ridout Street North, London ON N6A 2P1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founding of London (a few steps from this marker); The Gaol and Courthouse, London, c.1843 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Petition of John Ewart (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ridout Street Complex (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); King Street Bridge (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Eldon House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Isaac Crouse (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dominion Public Building / Édifice Dominion Public (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,716 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.