Cowley in Big Horn County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Big Horn Academy
In Stake Conference, September 11, 1908, Apostle David O. McKay announced that a church school would be built to accommodate church members in this section of Big Horn County. The south west corner of the church block in Cowley was the chosen site for the new two-story school. Ground breaking for the building occurred November 5, 1915.
This native-sandstone building, with its inscription stone over the south entrance, was a tribute to the ingenuity and strength of this early pioneers. The huge inscription stone, twelve feet long, four feet wide, and two feet thick, weighed about four tons and was cut in one solid piece. The inscription, cut by L.C. Jensen reads: "Big Horn Academy 1916." All of the stones used for the buildings construction has to be hauled fro hills five miles south of Cowley, shaped at the
The new academy opened its doors for students in September 1919. Approximately 85-95 students came from surrounding communities; many lived in Cowley during the school year. The building was new, modern, and equipped with a heating plant and ventilating system. The Academy existed for fifteen years from 1909-1924 and played a major role in this area.
The Academy was discontinued in 1924; the building was sold to the school district and used until 1983 as a high school. Since that time, it has been used as a pre-school and for private business In 2011 it was extensively remodeled to become the administration building for Big Horn County School District Number One.
Erected 2012 by Daughter of the Utah Pioneers, Sagebrush Camp. (Marker Number 567.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 44° 52.947′ N, 108° 28.108′ W. Marker is in Cowley, Wyoming, in Big Horn County. Marker can be reached from South Division Street near 1st Street South, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowley Log Community Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Big Horn LDS Stake Office and Tithing Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mormon Colonists (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Jeep (approx. 4.9 miles away); Henry Gilbert, Jr. Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Byron Sessions (approx. 6.2 miles away); Deaver Reservoir (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sidon Canal (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cowley.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.