Baytown in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Emily Methodist Church
St. Emily was the only African American Church in the Old River community for many years; the white frame structure served as both church and school. One Sunday a month, when the preacher came, families brought baskets of food for the daylong event.
Remodeled in 1946, the original building served the congregation for over 95 years. In 1976, after extensive fundraising efforts, construction began on a new sanctuary which was consecrated in 1978. A fellowship hall was completed in 1986.
Renamed St. Emily United Methodist Church in 1970, the congregation continues its long tradition of worship and service through
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11793.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 29° 51.228′ N, 94° 48.895′ W. Marker is in Baytown, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 565, 0.1 miles south of Oak Grande Drive, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located in front of the Church by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6818 FM 565, Baytown TX 77520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old River (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hartman Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Henry and Amelia Griffith (approx. 2.3 miles away); Amos Barber Homesite and Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church and Cemetery of Mont Belvieu (approx. 4.6 miles away); Joseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (approx. 4.8 miles away); Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de Ahumada (approx. 4.8 miles away); Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.