Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Temple Moses Montefiore

 
 
Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
1. Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker
Inscription.  In 1887 Jewish residents of the Marshall area organized the Moses Montefiore congregation, Adath Israel. Daniel Doppelmayer, a Civil War veteran and one of the pioneer Jewish settlers of the area, was selected as the first president. At his suggestion, the congregational name was chosen to honor Sir Moses Montefiore (1784-1885), the noted Jewish financier and philanthropist of England.

In 1900, under the direction of President Ike Hochwald, a temple was constructed at this site. Designed by the local architect C.G. Lancaster and built by the firm of Sonnefield and Emmons, it featured an elaborate middle eastern architectural style. The structure served as the congregation's place of worship and as a center of the community's cultural and civic activity until 1973, when it was razed.

The Moses Montefiore congregation was founded on a tradition of community leadership, which was begun by pioneer Jewish residents who moved here when the area was first settled. Members and Rabbis of the temple continued to play a vital role in the development of Marshall. Their contributions now serve as reminders of their influence on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
civic, business and cultural character of the city.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10218.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 32° 32.857′ N, 94° 22.211′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Burleson Street and North Fulton Street, on the right when traveling west on West Burleson Street. The marker is located at the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 West Burleson Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Girlhood Home of Southern Beauty Lucy Holcombe Pickens (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (about 400 feet away); The Belle Fry Gaines House (about 600 feet away); The Hochwald House (about 600 feet away); Todd-McKay-Wheat House (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Fry-Barry House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
Also see . . .  Jews.
Jews have been a part of the warp
Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
2. Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker
and woof of the Lone Star State since the period of Spanish Texas. To the untamed future state came Jewish seekers of fortune and freedom. Heirs to the Spanish and European forms of Jewish ritual practice, the Jews of Texas adapted their seminal faith to the new ambience without damaging the integrity of a 5,000-year-old tradition. Though some abandoned their roots, most were tenacious in the nurturing of their heritage. Before 1821, Jews who openly practiced their religion could not legally live in Texas, a Spanish colony where only Catholics could take up residence. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
3. The view of the Site of Temple Moses Montefiore Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191291

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024