Downtown in Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Congregational Church
On July 28, 1872, the Reverend Dr. J. E. Roy of the missionary society preached the first sermon to the small new congregation. Inez C. Van Eps directed the hymn singing. Lottie Ledyard's portable organ was carried to the barracks, and she provided organ music for the service. Pews were simple wooden benches, the floor was dirt, and the preacher's pulpit was a wooden box covered with draperies.
At first, worship services were alternated every other Sunday with a church in Canton. The Reverend Palmer made the journey between Sioux Falls and Canton on horseback. In November 1873 a move was made from the Old Barracks to Allen's Hall which was located on the northeast corner of 8th Street and Phillips Avenue. Members for the first time enjoyed the comfort of chairs and "many other proper conveniences," and a Sunday school for children was organized with Edwin A. Sherman as superintendent.
In January 1879 the congregational resolved to "arise and build" and by September members had moved into a newly completed church building on Dakota Avenue near this site. The new church was a plain brown clapboard building that was fondly referred to as God's Barn. It served the needs of members for 30 years. After becoming church pastor in 1905, the Reverend Dr. Frank Fox soon became the leader of a drive for a new church building. Badges were sold on the streets of downtown Sioux Falls, coins were collected, and members donated money and land. Plans were made to sell God's Barn, and the Ladies Aid Society raised money by helping to operate the city's streetcars for one day. An impressive new building, constructed of locally quarried Sioux quartzite, was dedicated April 14, 1909.
First Congregational Church, a member of the United Church of Christ, has remained a "church in the heart of the city" since its humble beginning in a deserted army post.
Erected 2004 by the Minnehaha County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical date for this entry is July 28, 1872.
Location. 43° 32.675′ N, 96° 43.836′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. It is in Downtown. It is on West 11th Street (State Highway 42) east of South Minnesota Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located on the north side of First Congregational Church in Downtown Sioux Falls. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S Minnesota Ave, Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in East River. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Lewis & Clark Corridor, in the Corn Belt, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Sculptor H. Daniel Webster (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away); Lt. Jonas Lien (about 500 feet away); Nils A. Boe (about 600 feet away); Eliza Tupper Wilkes (about 600 feet away); Washington High School (about 700 feet away); Radio Station WFAT (about 700 feet away); The First School House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2022. This page has been viewed 923 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 16, 2022. 7. submitted on May 7, 2023.






