Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springtown in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Springtown

 
 
City of Springtown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye Fort Worth TX, February 18, 2022
1. City of Springtown Marker
Inscription.  

In 1856, Captain Joseph Ward, a native of New Jersey, settled on a creek fed by numerous springs seventeen miles northeast of Weatherford. In 1859, Ward designed the town square and named the plate Littleton's Springs after a pioneer family. The first settlers in Springtown found about twenty-five active springs within three major areas: Smith Springs, Malone Springs and Kinnard Springs. The town received its present name of Springtown in the mid-1870s because of the beautiful springs that came to the surface on the creek bank just south of the public square.

From the beginning, Springtown Square has always been a bustling place of activity with many businesses nearby. Located in the center of town near a well, the square served as a meeting and gathering place where folks came to town to shop, trade and visit. The First Methodist Church was organized in 1857. In 1866, the new union church building housed the Methodists, Baptists and Cumberland Presbyterians, coming together with a different minister to lead services each week. By 1877, the town boasted a school, a hotel, two general stores, two blacksmith shops and three cotton
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
gins. White's Funeral Home began in 1908 and has served the community for over 100 years. Many schools were established early on and Springtown became known as the educational capital of Northwest Texas from 1884 to 1894. By 1949-50, Springtown schools were among the most modern and financially independent in Parker County due to oil discovery in the district. Springtown is often called Parker County's second city. From small beginnings, the town has grown dramatically and will continue to be a source of pride in the community.
 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18629.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 32° 57.931′ N, 97° 40.991′ W. Marker is in Springtown, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 1st Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springtown TX 76082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Springtown Tabernacle on the Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Eureka Lodge No. 371, A.F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. George and Ruth Jones House (approx.
City of Springtown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye Fort Worth TX, February 18, 2022
2. City of Springtown Marker
0.2 miles away); Springtown Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); William and Elisabeth Woody Homestead (approx. 3 miles away); Veal's Station Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Jay Bird - Union Grove School, Church, and Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); New Hope Cemetery and New Hope Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springtown.
 
City of Springtown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye Fort Worth TX, February 18, 2022
3. City of Springtown Marker
The marker is on the far left in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 453 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192416

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024