Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Victoria Trail Through Time
"Thimble Theatre," later known as
"Popeye, The Sailor Man"
The Texan Advocate was the first Texas newspaper published west of the Colorado River. Its inaugural issue was released on May 8th, 1846 - the very day that the first battle of the Mexican War, the Battle of Palo Alto, took place. At the reins early on were experienced newspapermen Thomas Sterne and John Davis Logan. Their weekly newspaper carried the news of the day to the pioneer public. Texas was at that time the newest state in the Union, having been annexed by the United States only six months prior. The Texan Advocate quickly rebranded itself as the Texian Advocate, paying homage to Texas pioneers and a favored moniker. Through the decades, a who's who of influential Victoria citizens served as editors and publishers. Victor Marion Rose, Frank Pridham, and E.D. Linn are three such men.
Around 1860, the newspaper changed names again. This third and final change saw "Victoria" replace Texian, thus creating the Victoria Advocate.
In 1897 the paper began
Publishers and proprietors came and went during the 1800s, but the turn of the century brought stability and longevity to the front office. The Victoria Advocate flourished under the likes of George H. French, Leopold Morris, Morris Roberts and John Roberts.
Throughout its existence, celebrating the heritage of the unique locale that is Victoria has been a cornerstone of the Victoria Advocate. Special editions of the paper have been published throughout the years. Especially significant were those published in 1934 and 1968. These were the 88th Anniversary Edition and Historical Edition, respectively.
As the second-oldest continuously operated newspaper in Texas, the Victoria Advocate has truly stood the test of time.
Upper Left: "Victoria Advocate"
Original Illustration by Tom Jones
Lower Left: Victoria Advocate, 106 S. William Street. Constructed in 1926 by newspaper owner, George H. French with architect Paul
Erected by City of Victoria.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Entertainment. A significant historical date for this entry is May 8, 1846.
Location. 28° 48.024′ N, 97° 0.341′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West Goodwin Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. The marker is located along the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. O'Connor-Proctor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); De Leon Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Hauschild Opera House (about 400 feet away); Victoria County Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); Robert H. and Pauline Clark House (about 500 feet away); Victor M. Rose (about 500 feet away); Viola Case (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.