Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Sanborne Insurance Maps of Galveston in 1877, show a building under construction for use by a wholesale drug company. The building is a two-story neo-Renaissance style brick building, typical of the period in Galveston. Window openings are spanned by segmental arches with plain hood-moulds. The sidewalk around the building was originally covered with a rigid porch type canopy, seen on many commercial buildings in Galveston's downtown business district.
The first tenant of the building was R.F. George, a wholesale druggist who is listed at them building address in the Galveston City Directory of 1877. A year later, George combined his business with T.C. Thompson and J.J. Schott to form Thompson, Schott & Co. In 1882, the partner changed again: J.J. Schott was replaced by Theodore Ohmstede. A new company called Thompson, George & Co. was formed. The
As the partners in the drug business changed over the years, so did the building ownership Builder Wolston, Wells and Vidor sold the building for a profitable some in 1881. New owners were Ball, Hutchings & Co., one of the best known firms in Galveston with partners, George Ball, John H. Huntchings, John Sealy and George Sealy. Following the death of the partners and heir, Frank Ball, the property was sold to Aaron Blum and Marx Marx, Galveston merchants.
The building changed hands no fewer than five times in the first two decades of the Century. In 1919, J.W. Focke purchased the property to hose his ship chandlery and grocery business. Focke also rented space in the building to another ship chandler, a supply house and a banana supplier. Focke acted as the Norwegian Consul in Galveston 1906 to 1950. He was knighted and decorated by King Haakon VII of Norway for his Focke sold the building to Miro Vranac, Jr. in 1967.
George P. Mitchell purchased the property from Vranac in 1992, and immediately began plans for restoration and adaptive reuse of the building for retail tenants. George and Cynthia Mitchell have a long standing commitment to the revitalization of Galveston, having restored many buildings in The Strand National Historic Landmark District.
Topics. This historical Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 18.466′ N, 94° 47.669′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of 23rd Street and Harborside Drive, on the right when traveling north on 23rd Street. The marker is located in the historic Strand district. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 23rd Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armour & Company Building (a few steps from this marker); Saengerfest Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Jefferson League Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenleve, Block & Co. Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Galveston Square (about 300 feet away); 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building (about 300 feet away); Magale Building (about 300 feet away); Hutchings, Sealy & Co. (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 17, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.