Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
216 E. Main
1920's - Southern Drug Store.
1950's - Haynes-Weaver with Sweat
Battery Shop in back. 1960's - James Shoe
Hospital with Hughie Ragan's Law Office
in back. 2003 - The winds blew, bruised
but still standing James Shoe Hospital
was still there. 2005 - Todd Krasner
purchased the building. 2009 - Mr. Lane
is still repairing shoes in the
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 35° 36.85′ N, 88° 49.051′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is on East Main Street west of South Church Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in entrance alcove that is only visible to those going westbound. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 E Main St, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 214 E. Main (here, next to this marker); 212 E. Main (a few steps from this marker); 218 East Main (a 215 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 213 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 217 East Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 209 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
More about this marker. "The winds blew" in the inscription refers to an F4 tornado that struck downtown Jackson on May 4, 2003. It was part of a series of storms that killed 14 people in Madison County that day.
Regarding 216 E. Main. According to a 2022 sales brochure for the building:
it is known as the Hughie Reagan building. Hughie was a trailblazing lawyer who often hand wrote his pleadings and showed up to court in muddy duck boots. In the back area, a metal window protector that had been on the old county court house is hung in the wall and is the oldest piece of architecture in the county.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 21, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.