Woodland in Haywood County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Woodland Baptist Church / Woodland School
Woodland Baptist Church. Woodland Baptist Church had its roots in Brown's Creek Baptist Church which was located at the present site of Woodland Cemetery. It was established by Rev. Obadiah Dodson, Samuel Brown and other settlers. In 1835 when the congregation split over the issue of missions, a group of members constituted Brown's Creek Missionary Baptist Church and built to the south upon Brown's Creek. After the Civil War, that property was ceded to the former slave members, and another building was erected on this present site. In 1870, this Church voted to change their name to Woodland Baptist Church. The present sanctuary was completed c. 1920 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Woodland School. Woodland Academy was established here in 1880 by Woodland Baptist Church. This school was closed c. 1890, and a new school was built at Hopewell, about two miles south, operating until 1899, when Woodland School was reopened with a three-room building. About 1912, Rock Hill and Union were consolidated with Woodland. The first system of free transportation in the county was used here with
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 35° 33.875′ N, 89° 6.023′ W. Marker is in Woodland, Tennessee, in Haywood County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodland Church Road and Brown Creek Road, on the left when traveling west on Woodland Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 885 Woodland Church Rd, Brownsville TN 38012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Haywood County / Madison County (approx. 2 miles away); Denmark Presbyterian Church (approx. 6 miles away); Denmark Danes (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Denmark Presbyterian Church (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Denmark Danes (approx. 6.1 miles away); Flag Bearer for Denmark Danes (approx. 6.1 miles away); Denmark Presbyterian Church Mulberry Grove (approx. 6.1 miles away); Denmark Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Regarding Woodland Baptist Church / Woodland School. Excerpt
The church was completed circa 1920 at a reported cost of $15,000. According to church records and a history of the church, Dr. Henry E. Watters was the pastor of the church and he chose the design of the building, which on the exterior reflected the popular Craftsman style while the interior embodied the Akron Plan, which provided more room for the Sunday School Program he wished to expand at the church. Watters is an important individual in the history of the Baptist church in West Tennessee. He served as pastor of the Woodland congregation first from 1908 to 1911 and then from 1919 to 1920, the latter term coming when he also was serving as the progressive president of Union University, a Baptist-supported college, in nearby Jackson. A former school principal, he taught history at Union University and was President of Union University from 1918-1931.
Also see . . . Woodland Baptist Church. Nomination (PDF) and photographs (PDF) submitted for the church's inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. (National Park Service) (Submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.