Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Texas Mexican Railway

 
 
The Texas Mexican Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
cmh2315fl via Flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0), December 25, 2020
1. The Texas Mexican Railway Marker
Inscription.  Leading merchants in Corpus Christi began planning the Corpus Christi and Rio Grande Railroad in the 1850s to boost the south Gulf Coast as a center for commerce. Lack of funding and an economic slump prevented progress until 1875 when Uriah Lott became president of the railroad. Lott recruited major investors such as Richard King and Robert Kleberg to finance the construction of a narrow gauge rail line from Corpus Christi to San Diego.

The lucrative valley market was sought by other rail companies who were vying for its control. Lott engineered the sale of the Corpus Christi and Rio Grande Railroad to a syndicate in the 1880s. The new owners were granted a charter with the name of the Texas-Mexican Railway Company. Laredo emerged as a major rail trading center and its population tripled in the 1880s.

Over time the Texas Mexican Railway remained competitive by upgrading its system. Improvements included converting to standard gauge track by 1902, switching its locomotives to diesel electric in 1939, placing trailer on flatcars in the 1950s, and expanding operations into Houston and Beaumont in 1996.
 
Erected
The Texas Mexican Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
cmh2315fl via Flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0), December 26, 2020
2. The Texas Mexican Railway Marker
Marker (clipped on right side) is in front of the former Texas Mexican Railway depot, now used by the Kansas City Southern railroad.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5435.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 27° 30.569′ N, 99° 30.457′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker is at the intersection of Convent Avenue and Salinas Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Convent Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 Convent Ave, Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Webb County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Webb County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) (approx. 0.2 miles away); United States Post Office and Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jarvis Plaza (approx. ¼ mile away); Laredo World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Laredo Fire Department (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Peter the Apostle Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laredo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=195565

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 21, 2023