Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Rev. Carleton A. Staples

 
 
Rev. Carleton A. Staples Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 15, 2009
1. Rev. Carleton A. Staples Marker
Inscription.  
The Hancock – Clarke House
- Preserved from destruction in 1890 -
stands as a memorial to
Rev. Carleton A. Staples
through whose personal efforts
the building was saved
and moved to this spot

Instrumental in forming the
Lexington Historical Society

Army Chaplin • Minister
• Citizen •

This tablet placed in 1940
by those who cherish his memory

 
Erected 1940.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 42° 27.209′ N, 71° 13.701′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Hancock Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Hancock St, Lexington MA 02420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hancock - Clarke House (a few steps from this marker); First Teachers' College (approx. ¼ mile away); House of Jonathan Harrington (approx. ¼ mile away); The Battle Green (approx. ¼ mile away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Buckman Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial to the Lexington Minute Men (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cambridge Farms (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lexington Ship Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Marker on Hancock Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 15, 2009
2. Marker on Hancock Street
The Hancock – Clarke House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 15, 2009
3. The Hancock – Clarke House
The marker can be seen here in front of the Hancock – Clarke House, along the stone wall in the foreground. John Hancock and Samuel Adams were in this house on the night of April 18, 1775, when Paul Revere came to warn of the approaching British troops.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=19577

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024