Hurst in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1890, the forerunner of Florence School in the Tarrant County Common School District No. 34 was called "Green Glade". In 1903 Thomas Richard Sandidge, a school trustee, and his wife Nannie provided one acre at this site for school purposes. The nearby Green Glade site was sold, and the Florence Schoolhouse, a one-room frame building, was erected here among a grove of post oak trees.
The new institution provided grades one through eight and had an average enrollment of 30. The term ran from October, after cotton harvest, to May, the beginning of cotton chopping time. The building served as a community center where singings were held.
By 1914, with declining enrollment and the need for high school curriculum, the district was abolished and Florence School students attended Bedford, Pleasant Run, and Smithfield Schools. Sandidge reclaimed the land which had been set aside for school purposes, and the property was sold several times through the years. In 1966 the Tarrant County Junior College District bought the land as part of its Northeast Campus which opened in September 1968. Among the enrollment were descendants
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1920.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 32° 50.73′ N, 97° 11.331′ W. Marker is in Hurst, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Harwood Road and Precinct Line Road on Harwood Road. The marker is located on Tarrant County College North East Campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hurst TX 76053, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Letchworth Hurst (approx. 1½ miles away); Smithfield Masonic Lodge No. 455 A.F. & A.M. (approx. 1.9 miles away); Smithfield Baptist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Smithfield Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Veterans and First Responders Memorial flag pole (approx. 2 miles away); Smithfield Church of Christ (approx. 2 miles away); Alfred Madison Hightower (approx. 2 miles away); Eli Smith (approx. 2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.