Allendale in Allendale County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Antioch Christian Church
Organized in 1833 by Dr. and Mrs. W.R. Erwin and Mrs. U.M. Robert, this was the second Christian Church (Disciples Of Christ) founded in South Carolina. Dr. J.D. Erwin, II, served as minister for forty years. The present building was used as a court house in 1865.
Erected 1960 by Antioch Association. (Marker Number 3-3.)
Location. 32° 56.899′ N, 81° 24.99′ W. Marker is in Allendale, South Carolina, in Allendale County. located on SC highway 3, about 2 miles east of U.S. 301. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Allendale SC 29810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Baptist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Smyrna Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Allendale (approx. 4.7 miles away); Burton's Ferry (approx. 5.6 miles away in Georgia); Town of Allendale (approx. 7 miles away); Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 7.4 miles away in Georgia); Bethel United Methodist Church Happy Home Baptist Church (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allendale.
Regarding Antioch Christian Church. National Register of Historic Places :
Antioch Christian Church ** (added 1977 - Building - #77001212) •
Also known as Antioch Church
♦ SW of Allendale on SC 3, Allendale
♦ Historic Significance: Event,
♦ Architecture/Engineering Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Other
♦ Area of Significance: Religion, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1825-1849
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Also see . . .
1. Antioch Christian Church. founded by Dr. W.R. Erwin and his wife, Julia C. Erwin and his sister-in-law, Mrs. Rachel Robert (Mrs. U. Robert). They began this church after being excommunicated from Kirkland Baptist Church in 1833. Two years later they erected the building of Antioch Christian Church and secured a pastor. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Antioch Christian Church. Antioch Christian Church, built ca. 1835, was the second Disciples of Christ Church in South Carolina. (Submitted on September 17, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Christian Church (Disciples Of Christ). Official web site of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. (Submitted on March 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Disciples of Christ. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is a Mainline Protestant denomination in North America. (Submitted on March 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Antioch Church. When I was just a small boy my grandmother, Addie Bryan (Ta-To) got me and one of the old colored gentlemen from the "place" to take our old Ford, model 8N tractor over to Antioch Church. (Submitted on March 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. The Community Of Erwinton. Any study of South Carolina history should include the community of Erwinton, which has produced many outstanding people: lawyers, doctors, publishers, statesmen, farmers, textile executives, preachers, and many others interested in the welfare of our country. (Submitted on March 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Antioch Christian Church, built ca. 1835, was the second Disciples of Christ Church in South Carolina. Today, according to the South Carolina Disciples, it is the oldest standing structure of that faith in the state and has been referred to as the "Mother Church." Antioch is also significant as an excellent example of the meeting house style of church architecture.
The founding of Antioch Church was chronicled in 1904 in the Churches of Christ by John T. Brown. This account was written by J.D. Erwin, son of one of the founders of Antioch, and a religious leader in his own right. According to Erwin:
Among the first to espouse the cause of pure Bible Christianity in the state of South Carolina was Dr. W.R. Erwin, a deacon in the Kirkland church (Smyrna Baptist Church, National Register of Historic Places, 1976) in the lower part of Barnwell county. After long opposition he requested, at a meeting of the church, May 4, 1833, a letter of dismission. On the 6th of July he and Mrs. Rachel Robert were excommunicated, on the charge of heresy. Soon after Mrs. Julia Erwin gave notice of her withdrawal, and she was also excommunicated. in the latter part of 1933, the three above united as a church. In 1835 they completed and set apart a neat meeting house (grounds donated by Gen. James D. Erwin) on the outskirts of Erwinton, and called
As Erwin records, Antioch was on the outskirts of the community of Erwinton. In 1849 J.J. Trott, an evangelist, visited the area and reported:
Erwington [sic] is a most delightful place. It is not a city or town, but -- something more interesting -- a Christian neighborhood, composed of a postoffice [sic], a male and female Academy, a neat and comfortable meeting house, and a congregation of Disciples.
Although the church has not been used since 1939, there is considerable interest in its preservation. In the 1960s, a South Carolina Historical Marker was erected; and most recently, in 1976, the exterior of the church was restored by the South Carolina Disciples of Christ. Services are now to be held annually on the Sunday after Easter. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted March 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Antioch Christian Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,518 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.