Fayetteville in Lincoln County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Dr. Charles McKinney House
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 35° 9.004′ N, 86° 34.163′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Tennessee, in Lincoln County. Marker is at the intersection of Elk Avenue South and Campbell Street East, on the right when traveling north on Elk Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Elk Ave S, Fayetteville TN 37334, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McKinney-Williams-Pitts House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell's Route Trail of Tears (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); King's Mountain Messenger (about 500 feet away); Horse Mounting Stones (about 500 feet away); Robert E. Lee School and The James Moores Home (about 500 feet away); In Memory of James Taylor Crawford (about 600 feet away); Confederate Park (about 600 feet away); Confederate Park Cannon (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Regarding Dr. Charles McKinney House.
The Federal Style, with Folk Victorian features, is represented by the Dr. Charles McKinney House at 304 South Elk (#13). This large two-story central passage plan brick house was built about 1820. It is a five-bay brick house is distinguished by its symmetrical facade, interior gable end windows, and original one story brick ell, possibly an earlier structure. The house was damaged during a cyclone in 1890. During the storm, the roof was blown off the house and the original porch was destroyed. During the resulting renovation, a steep roof pediment graced with delicate sawn vergeboards was added, and a new porch was constructed, decorated with turned wooden spindles.
Excerpt from the Fayetteville Historic Houses Walking Tour:
McKinney-Pitts House - ca. 1820-25. Federal with Victorian era changes. 2-story brick, one of the oldest structures in Fayetteville. The brick was made from clay dug and fired on the property. The house was built by Dr. Charles McKinney (1788-1864), a surgeon in the War of 1812 and the Creek Uprising. Dr. McKinney's original office was on the site of the present office building which was built ca. 1956. According to one of Dr. McKinney's granddaughters, the house had the first indoor bathroom in Fayetteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2. submitted on April 26, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.