Williamston in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williamston Municipal Center
This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston in honor of West Allen Williams.
The Williamston Hotel was built on this site and in the late 1850's, the Mammoth Hotel was built as a cost of $100,000 which was an enormous sum of money them. It was the largest building in the state at the time of its construction. Both of these structures burned in 1860 and all of Williamston's business district was laid waste except Dr. Millwee's Drug Store and an old blacksmith shop.
In 1872, Dr. Samuel Lander, a Methodist minister, founded and built the Williamston Female College on this site. The college was moved to Greenwood in 1904 and named Lander College in honor of its founder who died six month before the opening there.
The building later became the Park View Hotel. After it closed, it was converted into an elementary school in 1924. The present building was constructed as Williamston High School in 1939 by WPA labor
In 1953, Palmetto High School was built and this building became Williamston Elementary School. When Palmetto Middle School was formed in 1972, it became Williamston Primary School and remained as such until 1983 when all students were moved to the new Palmetto Primary School. The property and building were then purchased by the Town of Williamston. Dr. Samuel Lander's son, Dr. W.T. Lander taught at Lander College and his grandson, Dr. W.T. Lander, Jr. was principle of Williamston Middle School
Harold J. Mackey, Ward One; James R. Rogers, Ward Two
David Roberts, Ward Three; Wade L. Pepper, Ward Four
Frances C. Adams, Clerk & Treasurer
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 34° 37.133′ N, 82° 28.7′ W. Marker is in Williamston, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street (State Highway 20) west of Minor Street. Marker is located to the right of the municipal center's south entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 West Main Street, Williamston SC 29697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured Confederate Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamston Female College (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamston 9-11 Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Gist Rifles Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite (about 300 feet away); West Allen Williams (about 700 feet away); Williamston (about 800 feet away); Big Creek Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pelzer Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Lord, We Are Grateful" (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamston.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Williamston, SC. The Williamston Municipal Center was originally constructed by WPA labor in 1939 as Williamston High School. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Williamston, South Carolina. Williamston is a town in Anderson County, South Carolina, United States, that is adjacent to the small towns of Pelzer and West Pelzer. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Works Progress Administration. The Works Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 to the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest New Deal agency, employing millions (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Williamston Municipal Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,194 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.