Near Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
James Lewis Williams built Morgan Cabin in May Hollow along a tributary of Booth's Creek in 1816. He and his wife Elizabeth May lived in the cabin until his death in 1856. James left the cabin to his youngest son Foster, requesting that Elizabeth reside with Foster until her death. Foster lived in the house until he relocated to Fairmont in 1904. He died in 1905, and his heirs donated the cabin to the 4-H Camp in 1934.
Erected by The Weldon Family Foundation and BB&T Trust.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
Location. 39° 32.868′ N, 79° 58.839′ W. Marker is near Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker can be reached from 4H Camp Road (County Road 76) one mile north of County Road 76/1, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1477 4H Camp Rd, Morgantown WV 26508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grant Cabin (a few steps from this marker); The Dining Hall Camp Muffly (a few steps from this marker); Big Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Cass Cabin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Office (about 400 feet away); Clinton Cabin (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgantown.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.