Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
is named in honor of
Dr. Annie Dove Denmark
associated with Anderson College for
36 years, serving as President of the
college from 1928-1953. Dr. Denmark
was a resident of this dormitory
during her tenure.
Location. 34° 30.833′ N, 82° 38.35′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from Boulevard (U.S. 29). Marker is located on the south (main) facade of the building, on the campus of Anderson University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Boulevard, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson College Infirmary (within shouting distance of this marker); Pratt Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center (about 400 feet away); Vandiver Hall (about 500 feet away); The J.E. Rouse Dormitory (about 600 feet away); Sullivan Music Building (about 800 feet away); Abney Athletic Center Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer (approx. half a mile away); McGee Harness Shop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frierson School House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Regarding Denmark Hall. Dr. Denmark was the fifth president of Anderson University and, to date, the only female president. Given to recognize friends of the institution, The Annie Dove Denmark Award is one of the school’s highest honors.
Also see . . .
1. Anderson University. Official website of Anderson University. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Anderson College Historic District. In the spring of 1910 the Anderson Chamber of Commerce inaugurated a subscription campaign to raise money to build a college for young women in Anderson. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Anderson University (South Carolina). Anderson University is a private university located in Anderson, South Carolina, offering bachelors and masters degrees in approximately 50 areas of study. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Anderson University Starts Centennial This Week (Submitted on September 18, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Denmark Hall
Built in 1912, this two-story brick building features cast stone and wood accents. The brick is laid in an American bond variation of three rows of stretchers to every course of alternating header and stretcher, and with a raked join. Asphalt shingles cover the hipped roof. The specific details of the structure include a slightly projecting central pavilion, embellished with a one-story shallow, flat-roofed Doric order portico at the main entrance with two columns and pilaster responds. The portico's entablature is appropriately detailed with triglyphs, guttee, and dentils. The elliptical arched entrance within the portico features a double-leaf glazed door, sidelights and fanlight transom. A large, segmental-arched tripartite window, accented with cast stone impost and keystone, is located above the portico. A cast stone-accented pediment extends above the roof line to complete the entry pavilion. Other elements include a beveled brick foundation and brick quoins. The individual one-over-one-light double-hung
— Submitted June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Denmark and Pratt Halls
Built alongside Merritt Hall, Denmark and Pratt were constructed in 1911 as two of the original buildings on campus. Two or three females share each room and each pair of roommates shares a bathroom with the adjoining room. Bedrooms are furnished with two beds, desks, and chairs. Regular RSVP hours are observed in Pratt, and there is a common lobby in which students can spend time outside those hours. (Source: Anderson University.)
— Submitted September 18, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Denmark Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on June 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.